Hi, I'm Simon Wicks
I like cats, dinosaurs and cheese.
Oh, and design.
Designer & Creative
I’m a creative with 8 years’ experience in brand and media design, and a keen eye for conceptual design. My portfolio is packed with print ads, web banners, landing pages, homepage takeovers and campaign concepts for travel, e-commerce and technology companies. I’m in my element bringing new ideas and fresh approaches to social media, creative and marketing campaigns.
I moved from London to Leeds in mid 2015 and am looking for opportunities in Media Design, Integrated Design, Art Direction and Photography.
Sept 11 - Sept 15 - Co-Founder & Business Development
WallaBee is the largest self-funded mobile location-based collection and trading game on iOS.
In 2012 WallaBee was selected as the "Best European Gaming Startup" as part of the StartUp 2.0 Contest at Nonick 2012 in Bibao, Spain.
I worked on WallaBee in my free time, alongside my full-time job.
I was responsible for:
• Conceptualising stories around collectible items based on themes and current trends
• Conceptualising advertising and marketing ideas for driving users of the app to real-world locations
• Creating and managing competitions and giveaways
• Managing the creation of our 350+ Unique Items: working with our players and designers to bring their ideas to life, turning complicated ideas into simpler ones, processing feedback, setting up the item for release, and dealing with any problems
• Moderating user interaction, including filtering negative comments and posts not adhering to the community guidelines
• Assisting players experiencing any form of difficulty, such as bugs in the app
• Providing one-to-one user/developer interaction and support via email
• Constant interaction with players and noting/actioning all suggestions for app improvement
• Research and development of new concepts, including sourcing inspirational material to aid in-house designers
We sold WallaBee in late September 2015 to Munzee.
May 07 - July 15 - Creative Media Designer & Developer
Within the media team:
• Developed media and website assets, including conceptual, visual and creative designs, for UK and Pan-European websites
• Built front-end campaign site pages on custom-built Adobe CQ5 CMS
• Oversaw the campaign process from initial concepts and creative development to final launch on site
• Created campaigns, working directly with brands such as: British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Sky, MasterCard, Visa, Canon, Air France, Morocco Tourism, Tourism Ireland, Visit Greece and more.
Within the marketing team
• Working within CRM and Marketing Departments to determine design content for targeted ‘smart tips’ and weekly newsletters – lastminute.com (2.8 million subscribers), Something for the Weekend (280,000 subscribers)
• Designing print ads promoting lastminute.com products and offers for London newspapers and transport
June 04 - Sept 04 - Design internship at Shooting Gazette magazine
I enjoyed a few months experience at a local publishing house, learning artworking and design skills as a student.
My responsibilities included:
• Artworking layouts for Shooting Gazette and other magazines
• Creating clipping paths and sorting assets ready for other artists
• Creating PDFs to prepare magazines for print
• Buillding and maintaining websites for a local school and a book publisher
THE ADOBE SUITE
I know my way around Photoshop, Flash, Premiere, After Effects and InDesign
I know what gets people talking and how to keep them engaged
There's not a Content Management System I can't turn my hand to
I'll use my sharp eye for coding errors to fix them
My kind and professional manner helps resolve customer queries
I love coming up with creative and innovative ideas, and helping bring them to life